On 07/12/06, Eilert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Looking for this entry in the Wiki, but didn't find it - can you give me
> a hint what I've got to look for?

Look at running two dhcpd ltsp boxes on the same network. When the
client machine is witched on the server which replies first gets the
client process load. Generally the servers even out in terms of client
loads as the server which is least loaded offers dhcp lease fastest.
Something like round robin response.

> I'm just about planning such a setup here, but it's for 40+ clients.
> Currently we've got only one server with two Xeons and 4 GB Ram, but if
> more than about 35 or 40 clients are used (yesterday there were 44 for a
> while), it begins to get somewhat slow.
>
> The most important thing is that it's dangerous to make everyone
> dependent on only one machine.

That is why my suggestion of running two ltsp servers with each
running its own dhcpd service for the same subnet. The rough
schematics is as explained above. One server will have its IP as
192.168.0.254 and the other as 192.168.0.253 If you can not find
anything post back and I will explain with example.

Common directory structure was created by first creating /home/user
and /home/back paths on both servers. Users accounts are in sub path
below /home/user
Server1 should export its home directory by adding something like this
in /etc/export file:

/home 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(rw,no_root_sqaush,async)

And Server2 should mount this on its /home/user path by and entry in
/etc/fstab like:

192.168.0.254:/home/user /home/user  ext3    defaults        0       2

This way which ever server the user logs on the home directory is
same. Ofcourse this also is assuming that Server1 and Server2 are both
having identical copy of /etc/passwd /etc/shadow and /etc/group and
they are frequently synced. If there is another scheme of
authentication at play then both point to same auth-server.

Now the server2 acts as a back up server where Server1:/home/user is
rsynced to Server2:home/back regularly through cron job. If Server2
goes down there is no issu as Server1 will continue to work and users
will experience some slow down. If Server1 goes down then the admin
has to on Server2 quickly "ln -sf /home/back /home/user" so that users
can continue to work from Server2.

It is best if you can run this NFS export/mount another physical
subnet (say 192.168.1.254 and 192.168.1.253) so that NFS export
traffic is not slowed by general traffic on 192.168.0.0/24 subnet used
by LTSP clients and other machines. You may automate these steps by
use of scripts and some ping response check on server2 to see status
of server1.

--
Regards,
Sudev Barar