You can find some info on the client.  Either set 'SCREEN_01 = shell' in
lts.conf, and
then, which will boot the client but not start X, leaving you at a command
prompt; or
set 'SCREEN_02 = shell', and then once X is running on the client, press
Ctrl-F2 to get
to the command prompt on the client.  In either case, you can find some log
files
related to the client's boot under /tmp, I think.  You can also run dmesg.

Peter