On Thursday 20 November 2008 04:27:31 ltsp-discuss-
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > Will do, but Im just annoyed by the individual ROM generation from
> > > ROM-o-matic. My refurbished units all have different lan cards and I
> > > was hoping for a universal diskette bootrom.
> > >
> > > Any help? :)
> >
> > I think if you download the gPXE source you can build yourself a
> > universal loader. I forget the details, but I think it's possible.
>
> Thanks Steve, I didn't know gPXE was universal because I only downloaded
> images from rom-o-matic.
>
> I was just about to pat myself on the back and congratulate myself after
> gPXE was able to boot the whole lab in abuot 10-15 minutes. However, after
> I rebooted and tried again later, my problem with the inability to get
> addresses returned. It's apparently intermittent, and I think it is highly
> related to either a huge system slowdown or dns. I don't know why it would
> be related to DNS after all.
>
> Previously I configured my DNS under bind. However, I noticed that after
> booting 4 or 5 thin clients, bind9 would magically stop replying to
> queries. At this point, sudo would become very slow and few of my clients
> would be able to boot or even get IP addresses from the server.
>
> Neither dhcp3-server nor sudo should be making DNS lookups. My hosts file
> looks like so:
>
> ===
> 127.0.0.1    localhost

> 127.0.1.1    mars.schoolsite.local    mars
>
> 192.168.1.8    mars.schoolsite.local    mars
> 192.168.11.254    mars.schoolsite.local    mars

[snip]
So who is mars 127.0.0.1, 182.168.1.9 or 192.168.11.254
Don't know if THIS causes your problem, I've never tried something as umm not-
clever as this. But this is NOT good

Now if you have DNS why is there an entry for mars in /etc/hosts. That is not
BAD but certainly not GOOD. See /etc/nsswitch.conf

To get your system running I'd start with bind DNS and /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost

Then you can start to troubleshoot
James