Quoting Pierre AUSSAGUEL <pierre_aussag...@yahoo.fr>:

> Hi List,
>
> I have a running LTSP server (Debian based)
> I have a very old laptop (P 166 based / 48 MB RAM) that does not have
> floppy nor cdrom nor pxe capability. The NIC is a PCMCIA One.
>
> After trying mutiple solutions (gPXE, netboot ...) I finally installed a
> minimal debian system on it, and made the PCMCIA work.
>
> What is the best way to connect to the server ?
>
> - Some kind of chainloading to boot from the server once the network is up ?

I think this approach. I've only done this sort of thing on 4.2
(compiled myself but based on the wireless-ltsp work). Once you've got
a running kernel on your guest, which should include all the LTSP init
stuff in there by the way - the process should continue. Basically,
try putting the LTSP chroot's kernel on the thin client and see what
happens. Perhaps this could be done by installing ltsp-client or
ltsp-client-core on the thin client Debian install. There may be
further ammendments to the initramfs before it'll work for your
specific clients.

Have a look at the following file in the ltsp-client-core packages for
more clues as to what is happening:

/usr/share/initramfs-tools/conf.d/ltsp
/usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/ltsp_nbd
/usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/udhcp
/usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/init-premount/udhcp
/usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/ltsp_nbd
/usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/nfs-bottom/ltsp

Hope this gives you some clues, and I hope you furnish the LTSP
project with a working PXEless client image once you've completed it!

Please please let us know how it goes, I've been wanting to sort this
sort of booting for 5.x for some time but not got round to it.

For reference, the rest of ltsp-client-core:
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/i386/ltsp-client-core/filelist

Cheers,
==
 From Ben Green