On Monday, March 12, 2012 05:21:25 am Xavier Brochard wrote:
> Le vendredi 9 mars 2012 21:03:05 John McMonagle, vous avez écrit :
> > I'm getting debian squeeze kde4 setup to work with ltsp.
> >
> > It seems silly to run a separate mysql server instance for each running
> > use. Is it practical to use one mysql server for all users?
> > I did a peek at the tables and and it does not look like it's structured
> > to deal with multiple users in a database.
>
> I've done it. One mysql for all instances (one can also use postgresql). It
> worked very well, and was easy to configure.
Xavier

Can you share your akonadi configuration?

> But I wouldn't recommend to use kde4 with ltsp. There is a lot of network
> problems (with some of them difficult to track). However, I've posted these
> recommendations in november:
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=28364574

Not that thrilled with the way kde4 is going but
I looked into alternatives and still like kde better.
Using your post as my starting point.
Having pretty good luck with kiosk profiles also.

The only problem I'm having with your suggestions is when using the opaquity
theme, there are readability problems with the black backgrounds it uses.

Is there any way to put the .kde/env/QT_GRAPHICSSYSTEM.sh  and
.config/phasestyle.conf in a global setting?

I did some simple performance tests using one of our slowest terminals.
400mhz via with via graphics and 128mb  ram.
i did not see any obvious difference no mater what theme was used.
I'd think as soon as composting is off that kills transparency and 3d stuff?

It took about 22sec for the initial desktop to come up compared to about 8 sec
for kde3.

The only nasty thing was if one rapidly moved a window around the screen there
was a long trail of windows. It clears quickly when you stop.
kde3 kept up much better.  Probably not noticeable in normal usage.

John