My students can't change their passwords using the normal mechanisms.
That makes sense, because LDM tries to log them into the server and
then their fat client is basically separate from the server.

This is a problem, because if they lock their screen, they can't
unlock it. (I could disable screen locking, but then I have to deal
with the pranksters who insist on fiddling with students' desktops
when they're away.)

I'm using LDAP for the server authentication (actually from a separate
LDAP server, though I hope that's not relevant). How can I make it so
that students can change their passwords using the normal mechanisms
and can unlock their screens and such?

Todd