Hi Richard

On 01/05/2012 13:44, Richard Doyle wrote:
> Now that Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is out, its time to consider moving on from
> our Edubuntu 10.04 setup. There are lots of distros that use LTSP,
> including:
>
> Edubuntu 12.04  (Ubuntu 12.04)
> Skolelinux 6.0.4  (Debian Squeeze)
> K12Linux EL6 (Fedora 14)
> KIWI-LTSP (openSUSE 12.1)
>
> I'll probably rebuild our classroom network from scratch this summer,
> and am inclined toward Skolelinux because I'm an old Debian/Ubuntu user,
> and I dislike Debian's default Gnome shell less than I dislike Ubuntu's
> default Unity shell.

Firstly, I'm biased on two levels. I'm a huge Debian fan and also an
Edubuntu contributor, but alas...

I'd avoid K12Linux EL6 simply because everything in there is super
outdated. Additionally, Fedora 14 isn't supported by Fedora anymore, I
doubt they're carying all the security updates, etc themselves. I used
K12Linux in the past and I think the team behind it does a good effort,
but I don't think it's a good option anymore (and I'm sorry to say that).

I don't know much about openSUSE, so I can't say much about it. Things
to check though... Do they have many packages available (maybe install a
test system and see if all your usual day-to-day stuff is available). I
tried out RHEL recently and more than half of my usual packages isn't
available on there. It was very frustrating. Also check how long it's
supported for, if the current release expires before the next summer it
might not be that useful. I know a while back Kiwi-LTSP was a fork of
LTSP and wasn't proper-LTSP. Perhaps that changed, but it's worth while
checking out though. Proper LTSP has had a lot of improvements recently
and it would be a shame to miss out on them.

Skolelinux, it's good. It does a lot. It has a server component that
sets up LDAP and central auth and all the nice things that goes with it.
6.0.4 still has around 2 years of support left. Not bad. It's strongest
point is that it's Debian. Nothing matches it in terms of package
quality + quantity. LTSP is well maintained in Debian by an upstream
LTSP developer.

As someone who works on Edubuntu, I tend to focus on the flaws more than
it's positive sides (since I usually have to think of where to
prioritise my work), so it's a shift for me to have to think of the
positives. It doesn't have an easy central authentication configuration
like Skolelinux, but you could set up something like that manually (your
school probably already has something else for that, if you have AD you
can even integrate with that using SSSD). It has good LTSP support, the
LTSP Ubuntu packages are maintained by an upstream LTSP developer and 5
LTSP upstream developers contribute to Edubuntu as well. It inherits the
wealth of packages available from Debian. There's also a process where
app developers can get their packages into the system post-release. In
Edubuntu we want to take more advantage of this and drastically expand
the amount of software available for the platform over the next few
months and years. It's supported for 5 years on the desktop, starting
last month. That means you could upgrade in 2 years for 14.04... or in 4
years for 16.04, whatever happens to be more convenient. Ubuntu changed
LTS policy so that for the first 2 years of an LTS release, Xorg and the
kernel will be backported in the updates. This means that you can
continue to buy new hardware and plug in new webcams and 3G cards and
they'll just continue working without having to upgrade to a whole new
OS release.

To me, Edubuntu sounds like a pretty sweet deal, but hey, I'm biased :)

-Jonathan