This week I broke the sound system on my home LTSP network. Can anyone
suggest repairs?

Ubuntu LTSP relies on pulseaudio, which is not running on either the
server or the thin clients ("TC"s). Trying "pulseaudio -v" on the TC
gives lots of lines: here are ones describing errors, with a few lines
of context on either side.
<some lines removed>
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c: Created sink 0 "auto_null" with sample spec
s16le 2ch 44100Hz and channel map front-left,front-right
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     device.description = "Dummy Output"
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     device.class = "abstract"
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     device.icon_name = "audio-card"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c: Created source 0 "auto_null.monitor" with
sample spec s16le 2ch 44100Hz and channel map front-left,front-right
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     device.description = "Monitor of Dummy Output"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     device.class = "monitor"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     device.icon_name = "audio-input-microphone"
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Loaded "module-null-sink" (index: #9;
argument: "sink_name=auto_null
sink_properties='device.description="Dummy Output"'").
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Loaded "module-always-sink" (index: #10;
argument: "").
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Loaded "module-intended-roles" (index: #11;
argument: "").
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Loaded "module-suspend-on-idle" (index: #12;
argument: "").
E: [pulseaudio] module-console-kit.c: GetSessionsForUnixUser() call
failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ExecFailed: Failed to execute
program /usr/lib/dbus-1.0/dbus-daemon-launch-helper: Success
E: [pulseaudio] module.c: Failed to load module "module-console-kit"
(argument: ""): initialization failed.
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Module load failed.
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloading "module-device-restore" (index: #0).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloaded "module-device-restore" (index: #0).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloading "module-stream-restore" (index: #1).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloaded "module-stream-restore" (index: #1).
<tail docked>
I can confirm that the thin client (TC) does have an executable file named
  /usr/lib/dbus-1.0/dbus-daemon-launch-helper
and that it can also see a file named
   /usr/lib/pulse-1.0/modules/module-console-kit.so

By commenting out the line "load-module module-console-kit" in the TC
file named
   /etc/pulse/default.pa
I can get the TC to start pulseaudio (according to "ps aux"), but
then "sudo netstat -anp | grep 4713" doesn't show any process on the TC
taking an active interest in the pulseaudio port. I think that may be a
problem.

My LTSP server is a headless 64-bit box (perhaps headless is relevant),
for which "uname -a" returns the following:
Linux ninja 3.0.0-21-server #35-Ubuntu SMP Fri May 25 18:16:52 UTC 2012
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
On the client, the kernel version is slightly different,
3.0.0-20-generic with i386. Except for sound, everything works pretty well,
so I would prefer not to update the distribution or replace the server
OS with a 32-bit alternative.

Unfortunately I don't really understand how pulseaudio is supposed to
work across the network. Should a pulseaudio process be running also on
the LTSP server?

Saying "pulseaudio --start" on the LTSP server gives this error message:
N: [pulseaudio] main.c: User-configured server at
tcp:192.168.2.101:4713, refusing to start/autospawn.
I think the LTSP server is trying to check port 4713 on the TC for
sound-playing services, and giving up when it sees no activity there. If
I tell the LTSP server to "unset PULSE_SERVER", then I can start
pulseaudio and mplayer will appear to do something instead of quitting
immediately ... but of course its output is inaudible from the thin
client I'm sitting at.

Thanks for any observations/suggestions you can offer.

- Philip