More experimentation:

I set up an Edubuntu 12.04 LTSP server with a Celeron 2.8 GHz and 512MB and installed Chromium. Then I connected the same PIII 733Mhz, 256MB machine as a terminal. YouTube videos played fine, with no *Missing Plug-in* failure message.

So the only difference that I can see, other than Celeron 2.8 GHz vs. Athlon 1300 on the server, is that the failure case involved Lubuntu LTSP instead of Ubuntu LTSP. Which is to say, it seems that the issue is related to the LTSP implementation on Lubuntu.

Is that a helpful clue to anyone?

(By the way, I checked to see that Chromium was not playing the video via HTML5 instead of Flash.)

--John Hupp