On 04/09/13 06:51 PM, Robert Lefebvre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not following the advantage of doing this with VMs. I've only
> dabbled with them but I'm thinking to add additional processing power
> to the network. If possible, I would like to scatter the servers
> throughout the school and have them double as workstations for the
> teachers too. I know the term "server" is loosely used in LTSP and
> isn't any special type of computer. In our network the teachers get
> the best, strongest machines. Often they are idle though as they are
> busy with students.

I wasn't suggesting you should use VMs.
> Am I correct in believing that once the load balancer assigns a
> request to a particular server then that traffic would flow back and
> forth direct from the client through the switch to the server?

That's how it works. You need one root server for the thin clients to
boot from. As I said, this should also be your cluster control and load
balancer. The teacher's computer's can act as application servers, but
they need to be configured similarly, preferably identically, so the
thin client user experiences the same environment everywhere.

Also, I am assuming you have centralized authentication like LDAP and
shared network home directories.