Barry,
I'm working on a test installation in the next couple of weeks. Using
the Hawaii repositories, I was able to install with only one dip outside
into Fedora land to pick up an xorg dependency (iirc xorg-X11-xdm). I
have not initialized or booted anything from the installation yet
because of other projects I'm working on.

A couple of caveats as you probably know but for the benefit of others -
EL7 is 64 bit only which means you may need to build alternate chroots
for older hardware. Also, we've begun to use pipelight to access some
web sites and that doesn't build on EL7 without some heavy dancing
beyond my motivational level since it requires 32 bit Wine libraries.
The lack of 32 bit code may make things more challenging for
environments with legacy hardware or software. (Side note: the
Springdale EL release does have i686 code)

I'll be happy to share my findings either here or off list.

I share your concerns. This project has worked so well for us over the
years and is as useful as ever.

Thanks and regards,
William