On 2015-01-30, Lars Madsen wrote:
> Today I just noticed that on the images servered up by the production
> system some services are not running. For example cron.
> also no cron is listed in /etc/init.d/, even though it *is* in
> /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/init.d in the chroot.
>
> I also tried unpacking the the exact image being served to the
> clients, there everything is peachy, /etc/init.d/cron is a soft link
> as usual.

There are a number of services that are disabled at boot by default on
Debian/Ubuntu LTSP clients. You may need to add cron and other services
you want to KEEP_SYSTEM_SERVICES in lts.conf.

Look for /usr/share/ltsp/init-ltsp.d/50-rm-system-services in the client
chroot/image for the code that implements it.

The NBD disconnections you described earlier *might* be explained by
/usr/share/ldm/rc.d/I01-nbd-checkupdate, which checks for updated NBD
every time LDM is started. That wouldn't explain your LDM sessions
freezing, though.

For further debugging, you might want to enable remote syslogging by
configuring rsyslog on the server and setting SYSLOG_HOST=server in
lts.conf.

live well,
  vagrant