On 2015-05-07, John Hupp wrote:
> I find that /etc/hosts in the fat client filesystem does not match the
> /etc/hosts found in the image.  It seems that LTSP must be
> auto-generating one at client boot.  In any case /etc/hosts in the fat
> client filesystem has an alias line that resolves "server" to my host's
> current IP address.
>
> Can anyone confirm that this is the case?

Yes, /etc/hosts is generated on boot of the thin client. See
/usr/share/ltsp/init-ltsp.d/09-hostname for the code that does this.

You can change the "server" alias using the SERVER_NAME variable and add
arbitrary entries using HOSTS_XX in lts.conf.

The code dates from when the standard LTSP environment didn't typically
have name resolution, which is an assumption we should re-think in
modern LTSP environments.

> Documented anywhere?

Apparently not.

> If I use the literal scan server hostname for the image's sane net.conf,
> the scanner is not detected.  But the scanner is detected if I use the
> alias "server."
>
> Victory!

Congrats!

live well,