I have several identical complete LTSP-PNP servers using an external DHCP
server.

Without creating a separate root server, which would be a single point of
failure, I'd like to load balance them  such that the client uses the
application server with the least number of connections to boot from, since
each application server is already a root server as well. Clearly this is
different from load balancing application servers with a single root server. I
haven't had much success yet using LVS and keepalived, but I'm still working on
it. I'm looking into a pxe boot using HTTP instead of TFTP for the image - that
might work, using the application server rating as a way to dynamically adjust
a weighted round robin.

Any thoughts?