I've spend months developing LTSP so that it works very well with Ubuntu
16.04.

I mostly tested with the gnome-flashback session, but other DEs should
also work (Mate, Unity, LXDE, XFCE etc).

I propose this tutorial to install LTSP:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/ltsp-pnp

...and I also propose that you always have the Greek schools PPA in your
sources, as that's where I'm sending the new fixed LTSP versions
whenever I find new issues.

Enjoy,
Alkis Georgopoulos
LTSP developer