On 2017-02-24 14:01, Juan Antonio Martinez wrote:
> Hi all:
> I have a 200+ PC's students lab with Ubuntu 16.04-64bit gnome-based
> LTSP fat clients. (local swap, nfs mounted home, ldap ids/gids )
>
> Everything works fine... but cannot properly poweroff PC's, either
> by gnome session poweroff button, or by mean of "sudo /bin/poweroff",
> or even pressing physical power button at PC
>
> When initiating poweroff process user session goes out, gdm exits,
> switch to console and initiate poweroff display sequence... and
> freezes
>
> I've checked almost every combination of acpi=xxxx pxe grub options;
> of
> course PC bios have apm enabled
>
> Also, tried to "systectl enable poweroff.target" in systemd  (¿why
> it's
> disabled in LTSP fat client? ), check for proper nbd-client
> disconnect
> disabled in shutdown, re-check that network interface does not
> execute
> ifdown...
>
> More tips: sudo /usr/lib/klibc/bin/poweroff works, but no idea on how
> to include in systemd chain, or even if it's a good idea
>
> So at this moment, the only way to propperly poweroff the fat clients
> lab is... by unplugging power supply cable ( or press & hold 10
> seconds
> power button )
>

> Any hint?
> Thanks in advance
> Juan Antonio

Hi Juan

Do all 200+ clients have the same hardware and the same problem? Let's
see what kernel video driver is in use here.

If you want to see the kernel video driver use the command

     lspci -knn | grep -A2 VGA

in a terminal and display the results here on the list.

Also, do you have epoptes installed on the server?

Richard