Thanks a lot for your quick response, Alkis.

I started the Edubuntu 14.04 life DVD, started LTSP and connected to the
client. After loading, it shows the blinking cursor as described.

I pressed Ctrl+Alt+F1 and got the prompt for tty1, but how to login
here? Are there standard passwords for the live DVD and where can I find
them?

> In general, the best tool to troubleshoot LTSP clients is epoptes.
> Check epoptes.org for installation instructions.

Epoptes is already there. But when I want to start it, I get "User
edubuntu must be member of the epoptes group to start epoptes". Don't
know where to add it to the group, or what else can I do here?

The only help page I found was
https://www.edubuntu.org/documentation/ltsp-live, but it doesn't help me
any further.

Sorry if my questions seem too simple, but I have no experience at all
with Edubuntu live DVD...

Regards
Rolf