Hello,

Just subscribed and this is my first email. I am indebted already to the help and advice of alkisg on #ltsp on freenode.

I'm in a bit of a hole, and am wondering how to get out of it.

I've followed https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/ltsp-pnp and https://wiki.debian.org/LTSP/Howto and now run a 32 bit server Ubuntu 16.04.02 install and 32 bit clients (Dell FX170 client hardware), with a single NIC static IP and a DHCP running on my router. I only require thin clients (fat clients run far too slowly on this hardware).

The clients run great with a Mate desktop, *but* I am left with a major issue on my server / workstation, which is actually the "main computer".

The issue is described here

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2363087

and a related bug report here

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-hwe/+bug/1698118?comments=all

The whole set up is usable, but some types of actions are a lot more difficult than they need to be, and I need to keep clearing the caches. And I would dread trying to rebuild the client images. This is not a sustainable set up in the long term.

Questions:

1. Is it possible to run a 64 bit server and 32 bit clients using LTSP, with the DHCP server on my router?

2. If so, is there an up to date step by step guide to achieve this? I am aware of https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/ProxyDHCP but it is seriously out of date.

3. (related) Anyone any pointers to using the installer DVD to install over only /dev/sda1 and not touch /home on /dev/sda5? I tried this once on another machine and had to reinstall grub because I'd misunderstood the whole process, and don't know why.

Thanks for considering this question! :)

Andrew