Hi Doug,

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 02:56:26PM +0000, Doug Schaefer wrote:
> Thanks, Matthew, I ended up flushing every 100K events and that seemed OK.
>
> My biggest worry is on the read side. Babeltrace blew up on that file. It's a
> pretty simple trace (for now) with a single event class with 4 ints and a
> sequence of 32-bit unsigned ints which is usually only 2 elements long.

This is not I expect. Still eithet jgalar or eep might have a more insight on
this. CCing the lttng-dev mailing list.

Is there any way to share us a similar trace? Either with a generator or we can
provide a link for you to upload it. The current limit on bugs.lttng.org is a
bit too small for such trace.

> Aside from that, am very pleased with the how easy CTF is to work with.
> Looking forward to doing more.
>
> Doug.
>
> On Tue, 2019-03-12 at 14:41 +0000, Matthew Khouzam wrote:
>
> Hi Doug,
>

> Great to hear you're coming to a standard! I don't know if trace compass will
> scale properly as I don't know what the trace configuration is.
>

> > I have one of our trace which has 16 million events, the size of each event
> > is around 32 bytes giving me a 540MB file. My first attempt at simply
> > writing out the CTF events without a flush ran out of virtual memory. I
> > then flushed after every event which made each event take 32K. So I found a
> > middle ground and the resulting stream file is close to the same size.
>

> My suggestion is to have 1 MB packets. This makes seeking very efficient. If
> each event is 32 bytes, basically flush every 25k events or so.
>

> Please keep us posted!
>

> Matthew.

Jonathan Rajotte-Julien
EfficiOS