Warren Togami wrote:
Hawaii Linux Institute wrote:

How much does an equivalent AMD64 system cost? Any vendors you would recommend? What are their specs?

Here is one example:

http://pogolinux.com/systems/servers/PerformanceWare/index.html#PW1464
2 year warranty
1U rackmount
Dual Opteron 244 processors
4GB RAM
Dual Seagate 73GB 15K U320 SCSI disks (hot swap, I think)
No Operating System (far cheaper w/ RH academic license in UH's case)
$5424 before taxes and shipping

I asked the company about the SCSI. The motherboard comes with onboard LSI SCSI (not RAID), but the add-on RAID costs a bit too much to justify for two disks. I believe since the backplane can handle hot-swap, there is a way to disable the disk in the kernel for hot-swap. When used with mdadm and mdadm in monitor mode, it should do great in software RAID-1 with hot-swap capability. I need to do a little more research about disabling and enabling SCSI disks.

Warren