John Johnson wrote:

>I have another newbie question. I am trying to write a program that shows
>the contents of a directory. I am using GD functions to thumbnail images,
>but would like to also create thumbnails of MOV files dynamically via PHP. A
>search reveals two different solutions, but both do not have RPM packages.
>Seeing as how I know nothing about installing in linux(if it can't be done
>via yum) I am having trouble installing either solution(imagemagick and
>ffmpeg-php). Both require building the package in the php extensions
>directory. The problem I have is that I installed FC3 and don't seem to have
>any source files. I have installed other things on top of the default such
>as the php-gd package. I have a lot setup at this point and all is running
>smoothly and I would hate to download the source, build it, and totally mess
>up the settings that FC3 has as default. Any suggestions as to what I should
>do? Thanks in advance!

This isn't a very newbie thing to do but here is a crude description of
what somone maintaining the validity of RPM would do to add the extension.

all the php-* packages were built from the one php...src.rpm  install
that and the contents of /usr/src/redhat/SPEC/php.spec show how it's
packaged.  you'll have to add the ffmpeg to ../SOURCES (where all the
code & patches go) and  include it in the spec file (or it will never be
packaged) and add the appropriate tar command after 'prep' (where the
spec decompressed the main source) in the spec file and add
--with-ffmpeg, only once, where the other =shared commands are (the file
is common acroos cli & module versions so it only needs to be built
once).  Also note the existing extensions each have their own package
and are processed post-compilation to identify the files included in
them (look for "files" near the bottom)  follow a package, like oci8,
for example, and notice everywhere oci8 is.  The only difference is,
oci8 is included and you have to untar ffmpeg to be included in the
source.  Then, cross your fingers and rpmbuild -ba php.spec.  If it
works you'll have every package php-* in ../RPMS/i386.

this isn't a very easy process and if you have a spare box you might
want to just try doing this in Gentoo which allows you to pick and
choose your dependencies.

although, learning how to build rpms is an invaluable skill.  it will
allow you to  customize your system without breaking the ideology of the
package system, which seems to be what is on your mind.

I hoped this helps,
Tom