Q1: What utility can I use to find out where the bulk of my files are?
I'm running out of room and have created some bigger ext2 partitions and
want to map the larger stuff over there.

I tend to do "du -sk *|sort -rn|more" in successively deeper
directories to track down where the space has gone.  Keep in
mind that "*" doesn't catch dot directories.  If you have reason
to believe a lot of space might be taken up in a dot directory
(rarely the case) then "du -sk * .?*" would be more appropriate.

Q2: Is there an easy way just to move my stuff to the new partition, so
that the system will appear the same.  I think I can do this manually
with editing of /etc/fstab, but...

- format and mount your new partition/drive.
- Find a directory that contains a lot of storage that you want to
  move to another drive (ie. /usr/local).
- copy the data to a new drive (ie. cp -ax /usr/local /mnt/newdrive).
  For best effect this should be done while nobody will be adding
  new files to the directory (ie. single user).
- Remove the old files in the directory.  You can defer this step
  till later if you want to be sure that everything is working.
- unmount the new drive.
- add the new drive to /etc/fstab, mount it, and check out that everything
  is in order.

Jacques L. Yerby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Tim Newsham
http://www.lava.net/~newsham/