How close is mesh routing to be ready for prime time? It sounds like the city of new orleans is finding it indispensible. How strict is oceanic and hawaiiantelcom about bandwidth sharing? Wasn't HOSEF setting up some community wireless projects? If so, what were they using to provide bandwidth to the internet? Are there any community efforts to provide free wlan meshes here?

It seems like wlan has penetrated the consumer market thoroughly... In my area, at least, I can see about as many APs as I can see houses...
They're all just last-meter spokes off of some broadband link, though.

Tim Newsham
http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/