Jim Thompson wrote:
Microsoft's recent OEM licensing changes are making for new linux installs: http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36635

OK, but I've had my share of trouble on Linux installs, too. That said, I have never purchased a copy of XP, and those computers that came with it, soon lost it. The reason? Product activation. It sounded like a pain, so I never went past Windows 2000.

Nevermind the brain damage that is Vista:
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt

As bad as XP was, Vista sounds worse. I'll toss in this link, where Robert Cringely comments on the link Jim provided:

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2006/pulpit_20061229_001403.html

The short summary: Microsoft isn't committing suicide, but they may lose out in the multimedia department.

The good news is that circa 2007 hardware is going to fly with GPL drivers that don't have to do any of that crap.

Heck, Debian moves right along with an Athlon XP 1800+. My fastest machine is an Athlon 64 3000 (running a 32 bit install). I haven't gone for any of the multi-core stuff yet. What I like is that Linux runs faster on the 1800+ now than it did back in 2003, when I made the permanent switch.

--
Hawaiian Astronomical Society: http://www.hawastsoc.org
HAS Deepsky Atlas: http://www.hawastsoc.org/deepsky