Jim Roby wrote:

<snip>
All attempts to right the Windows distro failed and I then decided to give the entire disk to Ubuantu.Now we have a boot menu that boots Ubuantu but still points to the non existant Win2K...it just yields an error message and you can go back to boot the working OS. I would like to wipe the menu which now doesn't look pro,but reading I see there is no uninstall of Grub...man pages say to over write it. Is this safe? And how should I go about it? fdisk /mbr or something like that? Should I make a boot floppy first? machine has a floppy drive.
A boot loader (like Grub) is needed (just like Windows), but in Linux it's more visible. If you don't need the extra space, then I would just remove the Win2K option from grub. Open a terminal and:

sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst

Scroll down to the bottom and comment out the Win2K line by putting a # before the 4 lines associated with Win2K. It may look something like this:

# title         Windows 95/98/NT/2000
# root          (hd0,0)
# makeactive
# chainloader   +1

You can hide the grub menu on boot. There may be a hiddenmenu line that is commented out, just remove the # from before it.

As a final note, you may want to consider installing the latest version of Ubuntu, Hardy Heron. So far it appears to be the great distro they've created.

Good luck.

Michael

David Kiwerski wrote:
Seems so, but not very active presently.

Al Plant wrote:
Is the Luau list still alive?