On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 08:45:43 -1000
Jeff Mings <je...@lava.net> wrote:

>      Getting back the gnome-2-ish look for Ubuntu 12.04 is really easy:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

I have one computer running Ubuntu with XFCE (from a PPA) installed. I use it a
lot. It was a netbook from System 76. It came with the Netbook Interface (aka
pre-Unity). As I use it basically as a desktop machine (with external monitor,
keyboard, and mouse), I removed all of the netbook interface, and much of Gnome.

My son used Netbook Interface on his netbook for a while, but as he mostly uses
an external monitor, it proved clunky. When he got a 20", 1600x1200 monitor, he
switched to XFCE.

>      My laptop and desktop run Lucid Lynx (Ubuntu 10.04) and Gnome 2
> allows me to be very productive.  However, I wanted to see if another
> box, that will primarily be running Zoneminder, would be tolerable with
> Unity.  With the addition of ClassicMenu Indicator, Unity UI is usable.

I passed your previous message on to a friend of mine, whose wife uses Unity on
her netbook. She has been fighting the interface since Natty. The good news, is
that when he finally updated his wife's machine to Oneiric, he noticed smoother
operation, and fewer bugs. I think he will update once more to Precise, and
then leave well enough alone.

> Unity has driven many people to Mint Linux or CentOS.  If Ubuntu offered
> another official derivative
> ( http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu/derivatives ) using Gnome 2, I
> would expect it to eclipse all of the other versions.  Gnome 3 is absolutely
> beautiful, but is a regression from a productivity standpoint.

It will be interesting to see how the Gnome extensions work out. I have never
been a fan of Gnome 2's default layout. Even on a 4:3 ratio screen, I found
that the two bars tended to take up too much space. Mint consolidated
everything to a single, bottom bar, and that was pretty good. Now Mint is
offering Mate, straight Gnome 3, Gnome 3 with extensions, and the even more
ambitious Cinnamon. We'll see how this all shakes out.

As for me. I use netbooks, because they are cheap and pretty versatile. In my
search for KDE 3 alternatives, I have settled on XFCE, because it does what I
need, is rock stable, and boots to desktop using as little as 90 megabytes.
Netbooks fly under such an arrangement.

XFCE 4.8 from PPA has several advantages over version 4.6 available in Debian:
The panel moves to the side of the screen more gracefully. The launcher
interface has improved. It does a better job with transparency. In short, XFCE
is first rate. Let's hope it stays that way.