The situation is where iPhones can get to IMAP email only if they're not on the AT&T cellular network. Wifi is fine, but not 3G nor LTE.
So while this IMAP server is on Solaris, this is also possible on Linux versions. So since this gave us soooo much grief, I thought I would share, in hopes no one else has to suffer. Brian Chee Hi All, Xxxxxx got his new iphone and I set it up. He thought by getting the new phone the mail checking problem would go away. I verified that it didn't go away. I did get much further in figuring out what the problem was though with the help of Brian Chee. It turns out it has to do with att proxying the phone connection and dns not reolving it correctly. So the imap daemon was saying there was a hostname mismatch. After a lot of searching, it turns out the problem is tcp_wrappers. specifically that the tcp_wrappers in solaris 10 is compiled with the -DPARANOID option. Even though we had it set to allow ALL for imap/imaps, it was still doing the dns check. Even removing the hosts.allow and hosts.deny files didn't help. What helped was disabling tcp_wrappers all together with the following 2 commands. inetadm -M tcp_wrappers=false ; svcadm refresh inetd After I did that, the phone worked great. I obviously didn't want to leave tcp_wrappers off completely and found out how to turn off a specific service. so I enabled tcp_wrappers again, and then I turned off tcp_wrappers specifically for imaps. After I did that, things started to work again for the iphone on att's network. These are the commands I used to reenable tcp_wrappers and then turn it off for imaps. inetadm -M tcp_wrappers=true inetadm -m imaps/tcp tcp_wrappers=FALSE svcadm refresh inetd Ross Sent from my iPad _______________________________________________ LUAU@lists.freesoftwarehawaii.org mailing list http://lists.freesoftwarehawaii.org/listinfo.cgi/luau-freesoftwarehawaii.org