Hi,
no I'm not suggesting to build it on your own.

Trying to resummarize:

TL;DR - ncurses is not at (ABI) 6, so htop doesn#t get scroll wheel
support atm

Details:
1. htop 2.x + Ncurse 6 = scroll wheel
2. Ncurse is at source version 6
3. But Ncurse is built with API=5 to behave like before
4. Due to that htop does not get the scroll wheel functionality atm

And I was no part of that build or decision I don't know any details.
It was just FYI as I have seen the bug and realized this special build option.

If you are interested what I mean search for
  .so.5
and
  .so.6
In
https://launchpadlibrarian.net/356722560/buildlog_ubuntu-bionic-amd64.ncurses_6.1-1ubuntu1_BUILDING.txt.gz

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Lubuntu
Packages Team, which is subscribed to htop in Ubuntu.

Title:
  no response to scroll wheel

Status in htop package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in htop package in Debian:
  New

Bug description:
  ". . . new in htop 2.0 . . .
  If you're using NCurses 6, htop will also support your mouse wheel for
scrolling."
    -- https://hisham.hm/htop/

  Doesn't work for me. No response to scroll wheel. Any suggestions? I'd really
like to make this work.

  htop 2.0.1
  ncurses-bin   6.0+20160213-1ubuntu1
  Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Xenial, 64 bit
  kernel 4.4.0-98-generic
  xorg 1:7.7+13ubuntu3
  openbox 3.6.1-1ubuntu2
   and that's it. No further DE beyond openbox. System was built from the
mini.iso.

  Tried in all the following terminals:
  lxterminal 0.2.0-1ubuntu0.1
  xterm 322-1ubuntu1