2011/10/8 Julien Lavergne <gi...@ubuntu.com>

> Le 10/07/2011 06:13 AM, PCMan a écrit :
> > For the desktop panel:
> > 1. one panel per monitor, configured separately
> > 2. one panel exending to the external monitor
> > 3. one panel staying on main monitor, no panel on the external one
> > 4. one panel exending to the external monitor, but have the most
> > important panel applets on the main monitor, and the rest on the
> > external monitor
> > 5. Other possibilities...
> >
> > For the desktop icons manager, options are:
> > 1. icons on main monitor only.
> > 2. some icons on main monitor, others on the external monitors. (Then
> > how to handle icon rearrangement when the external monitor is
> > disconnected?)
> > 3. others...
> >
> > For wallpaper:
> > 1. one wallpaper per monitor
> > 2. one wallpaper extending to all monitors
> > 3. others...
> I think it's a good idea to collect usages of dual monitor users first.
>
> For example, I use dual monitors on a desktop computer like this :
> - I have one main screen, where I mainly works and stay focus on it.
> - I expect to have on this main screen the panel and the icons
> - I doesn't matter where is the wallpaper :)
> - I don't plan to plug and unplug my monitors :)
>
> But, when you use it as a laptop user, it's probably different
> (presentation, frequently plug and unplug ...).
>
> Regards,
> Julien

Personally, I use the second monitor mainly for presentations. The average
user that i'm familiar with does it too.
It's for this reason that a blank screen (absolutely nothing on it) is
suitable (just for not showing the familiar picture set as wallpaper -or god
knows what- and everything set in your desktop). It looks very professional
to me when exposers make their presentations "only".
That for the defaults, but as i said before, some things should be
configurable.