On 01/06/13 04:56, Tong Sun wrote:

> On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Jonathan Marsden
> <jmars...@fastmail.fm <mailto:jmars...@fastmail.fm>> wrote:
>
>     As far as I can see, Mallard is primarily intended for online
>     browseable
>     documentation, with output to other offline formats being secondary.
>     LaTeX appears to be the other way around in terms of its priorities.
>

> While I was following the thread, I couldn't help but attempting to
> recommend something else -- asciidoc from http://asciidoc.org/,
> because after all, when writing, the main focus should be on the
> content, and if the formatting is getting into the way of
> documentation, then that's a sign of bad choice.
>
> Hope that I am not shooting myself in the foot to recommend asciidoc,
> because you are writing in (almost) plain text and have all sort of
> tools to post-process for you, be it doc-book, or latex, to produce
> anything, html file, pdf files, slides, etc, etc.
>
> What prompted me to the recommendation is that, today I noticed on
> the asciidoc mlist (http://groups.google.com/group/asciidoc/),
> the Mallard is now supported as another asciidoc backend, just like
> the doc-book/latex does. Hope that could make LUbuntu documentation a
> bit easier.

That sounds useful as I am probably far better at writing stuff than I
am at markup,  esp if keeping that markup consistent with other docs,
also if its in a central format then other versions can be produced from
that central document so docbook, xml, html, latex etc

Paul

http://www.zleap.net

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and
expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.