When understanding broke upon me today concerning LXSession's default setting (in 13.10) of 'disable_autostart=config-only' (rather than 'disable_autostart=no'), I changed it to NO and immediately solved a weeks-old problem with SpiderOak Backup not auto-starting.

But this change triggered a new problem: There are two instances of nm-applet running. Both instances work and yield the same information.

Since I had set disable_autostart=no in both /etc/xdg/lxsession/Lubuntu/desktop.conf and in ~/.config/lxsession/Lubuntu/desktop.conf, I considered it possible (though unexpected) that this was causing two instances to autostart, but setting disable_autostart=config-only once again in /etc/xdg/lxsession/Lubuntu/desktop.conf did not solve the problem.

The obvious questions: What happened?  How can I fix it?