Hi German,

On 14 December 2014 at 15:02, German <gentger...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ian. No, it is not faulty ports. lsusb shows my a data thumb drive. But
> still nothing in /media. I have no floppy drive. Thank you

Hmm. Shall we deal with the thumb drive first?

0. With the thumb drive in, does ls /media show anything at all?

1. Could you give more details about the system we are fixing? Things like
manufacturer, make and the details of the operating system you are using
(e.g. which flavour of Ubuntu, which release - 14.10 etc)

1. The thumb drive might be mounting to an unexpected place. Do a ls /dev
command without the memory stick in. Then insert the memory stick in. Do
another ls /dev command.

You need to look at the entries listed as sda, sda1, sda2 etc ( and
possibly sdb, sdc, sdd) . For example when I do ls /dev on my system
without a thumb drive inserted, ls /dev lists (amongst other things) sda,
sda1, sda2, sda3. After inserting it, those things listed appear - plus an
entry for sdb and sdb1. If you can identify the differences between a
memory drive then that should be the device name which the thumb drive is
connected as. Once you find that then we might be able to use the mount
command so your system can access the thumb drive.

BW,

Ian

-- Free Software page - currently down