I may be way off base, but whenever I used Clonezilla I downloaded "Live"
,iso file from the Clonezilla site. I boot from that, and follow the
prompts.

I found Clonezilla very useful. But, one thing I never understood is why
you have to restore to the same size (or larger) drive. Maybe that's common
with any of the image tools. It seemed like a significant limitation to me.
But, maybe I'm not understanding something about it.

Mark