Hi Gilles, nice to know that you are having a good time with Lubuntu Next.

Lubuntu Next is quite nice and should be very lightweight as this is a
Lubuntu goal, but this release (Next) is not recommended for production
environments (even for personal use) because it is an experimental product
and might be quite unstable with some bugs as expected... Users are advised
of that on Lubuntu official webpage.

You can use the LTS version of Lubuntu (16.04.x the most recent now) and
update your packages with the default package manager available on the
distro. Give it a go before sticking with Lubuntu Next...