On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 14:05:44 +0000, Ian Bruntlett wrote:
>If you get any error from the memory testing, you need to get someone
>to help you with your hardware

Not necessarily, Memtest could fail. If the installed Memtest should
show errors, I still would use an original Memtest live media and run it
again, even if it's the same version of Memtest. If it also should
fail, I would unplug the RAM bars and then mount them again and repeat
Memtest from the live media. If it still would fail, I would test one
RAM bar after another mounted to the computer only.

However, if the RAM should pass the tests it not necessarily is ok or if
it should fail the tests it not necessarily is broken.

That the computer does freeze or what ever "hangs" should be for, could
be caused by different culprits. More often a disk fails, than RAM.
Taking a look at the disks with smartctl could be helpful, but also
isn't without failure.

Does only the browser cause issues? If so, are there any error messages,
e.g. in

   ~/.xsession-errors*

Does Ctrl+Alt+F-keys work? E.g.

  Ctrl+Alt+F2

then e.g. run

  killall name_of_the_browser

e.g.

  killall firefox

You could go back with

  Ctrl+Alt+F7

and then open a terminal and run the browser from command line, to
probably get clear output.

E.g. run

  firefox --safe-mode

and after that run

  firefox

perhaps running it with a new profile does help

  firefox --ProfileManager

If you should use another browser, take a look at

  name_of_the_browser --hel

Regards,
Ralf