On 11/29/2017 07:45 AM, Stephen Soucy wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I am trying to run lubuntu 17.10-desktop-amd64.iso on a 2007 MacBook, Core 2
> Duo 2 GHz processor with 1 GB of RAM. I burned a dvd on my newer MacBook, and
> when I insert it in the old MacBook, and start with the option key down, it
> presents me with a choice of my regular hard drive, which has OS X 10.6.8
> installed, or the dvd (labeled windows). I select the DVD, and after a little
> whirring, it shows a black screen as follows:
>
>               1.
>
>               2.
>
>       Select CD-ROM Boot Type :
>
> At this point, the computer is unresponsive to any keyboard input. The
> computer eventually spins down and waits for instruction, and I am forced to
> shut it down.
>
> I have tried to boot from a usb thumb drive, but that doesn’t seem to work on
> this older machine, though my 2010 MacBook seems to boot from them now, after
> using Mac Linux USB loader app. Is there a trick to this?
>
> Is there something extra I need to do when I burn to disk? Look forward to
> your input. Thanks.
>
> sjsu2

Hi,

IIRC you need to get the Mac specific version of the ISO, the hybrid EFI
in those earlier models will not work with the regular AMD64 images and
17.10 does not have one for that.

Here is a link for the latest LTS (16.04)

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/16.04.3/release/lubuntu-16.04-desktop-amd64.iso

--
Regards