Hello,

I'm going to keep my response here brief, see my other reply on this
thread for a better response.

On 12/26/2017 05:54 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> This is plain nonsense:
>> Clarification: The user is using a Ubuntu flavour Icon and Name
>> (Lubuntu and the icon of Lubuntu) all of them registered by Canonical
>> Ltd, UK, and allowed to be used only in the website http://lubuntu.me
>                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>                                   ^^^^
>> as indicated in the countersigned licence attached.
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> From the http://lubuntu.me/ footer:
>
> "Lubuntu and Ubuntu are registered trademarks of Canonical Ltd. Content
> is licensed by Creative Commons License
> https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/.";
>
> Let alone that the Lubuntu logo itself includes the LXDE icon, so it
> would be fishy, if it wouldn't be allowed to use the Lubuntu logo.
>
> From https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/:
>
> "(CC BY-NC-ND 4.0)
> This is a human-readable summary of (and not a substitute for) the
> license. Disclaimer. You are free to:
>
>     Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
>
>     The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the
>     license terms.
>
> Under the following terms:
>
>     Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to
>     the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in
>     any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the
>     licensor endorses you or your use.
>
>     NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial
>     purposes.
>
>     NoDerivatives — If you remix, transform, or build upon the
>     material, you may not distribute the modified material.
>
>     No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or
>     technological measures that legally restrict others from doing
>     anything the license permits.
>
> Notices:
>
>     You do not have to comply with the license for elements of the
>     material in the public domain or where your use is permitted by an
>     applicable exception or limitation. No warranties are given. The
>     license may not give you all of the permissions necessary for your
>     intended use. For example, other rights such as publicity, privacy,
>     or moral rights may limit how you use the material."

Although I think the emphasis is less on the logo and more on the
Lubuntu name and the trademark associated with it. From Canonical's
Intellectual Property policy:

> You will require Canonical’s permission to use: (i) any mark ending with
> the letters UBUNTU or BUNTU which is sufficiently similar to the Trademarks>
> or any other confusingly similar mark, and (ii) any Trademark in a domain
> name or URL or for merchandising purposes.
Rafael has this permission and Mario doesn't. I think that's all he's
alluding to here. :)

That's all. Happy holidays!

--
Simon Quigley