On Mon, Jun 04, 2018 at 04:30:52PM -0600, Aere Greenway wrote:
> I'm thinking of switching my 32-bit Lubuntu to 64-bit, when I go to 18.04

I think this is wise. In case you haven't heard the rumblings about
ubuntu-release and ubuntu-devel, there's much talk of dropping 32 bit.
In fact, most flavors have opted to drop it. Lubuntu is seriously
considering following suit.

Do note, though, that despite the potential for dropping it as a release
architecture, 32 bit packages will likely live on for a long time.

> My idea is to restore (including hidden files) my 32-bit Lubuntu 16.04.4
> /home directory, to a new Lubuntu 18.04 64-bit system.

I think this is the best solution, though I have not tested it. I had a
multiarch system set up, where I was running a 64 bit kernel but had a
menagerie of 32 and 64 bit userland that had all sorts of dependency
issues. I probably could have bothered to ultimately fix it, but it
would have been much more headache than what I wanted. Ultimately, I
gave up on it and installed a new system. I actually restored only the
/home files (especially configs) that I needed, after the new system was
installed. The advantage of this is that if something about the format
or options of the config files changed in the upgrade, I wasn't stuck
trying to figure that out.

Let us know how it goes!
--
       @wxl | polka.bike