On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 06:47:50AM +0000, Chris Schram wrote:
> inscrutable names under System Tools and Preferences

Inscrutable how? Which ones?

> useful items missing from those menus

Such as?

> I've figured out how to restore a few of my favorite AWOL features

Let me guess: this is an upgrade from a previous version? If so, that's
bound to give you trouble. In fact, the release notes (you did read
those, right?) cautions specifically against it.

> What online help I've found is too out-of-date to  be relevant.

Did you notice [the manual][1] currently targets 18.10 primarily and
that it even has [a section][2] concerning upgrades?

> I want to see the Trash icon on my desktop.
> I want to see my mounted volumes on my desktop.

Both of these things are handled by pcmanfm-qt, which is set to handle
them by default. This is done by invoking it with `/usr/bin/pcmanfm-qt
--desktop --profile=lxqt` which is done via
/etc/xdg/autostart/lxqt-desktop.desktop.
--
       @wxl | polka.bike
C563 CAC5 8BE1 2F22 A49D