On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 04:15:40PM -0700, Fritz Hudnut wrote:
> again, seems like
> something in the install didn't go well

Yep, we've had this problem for a little while now and have been
struggling to figure it out. Probably should have said something about
it sooner, but I think we all high hopes it would resolve itself more
readily.

> if anyone wants to check
> this out, and file an appropriate bug report

Actually, we've had [one of those][1] for a while now.

> bug report people
> don't like being flagged on plays that aren't in their area.

As a "bug report person" I'd rather see a misfiled bug report than no
bug report at all. It's trivial to file it somewhere else. If worse
comes to worst, as it suggests on the [wiki][2], just file it against
lubuntu-meta.

> And, system
> won't boot to file an "apport-collect" . . . report.

This is true. In general, you'll want to use ubuntu-bug/apport to file
bugs but if you can't, no problem. All of us "bug people" aren't just a
bunch of big heartless meanies XD

That said, I'm happy to report that kernel master TJ spent a ridiculous
amount of time trying to debug this (he actually logged into a virtual
machine with the serial console)— something like 7-8 hours— and finally
found the problem which seems ultimately linked to a [change upstream in
initramfs-tools][3] and proposed [a fix][4] that I just confirmed fixes
the problem.

To fix the situation, follow these steps:

 1. Boot the live image
 2. Open the browser
 3. Navigate to the [raw diff][5] of the fix
 4. Right click and save it (~/Downloads/D15.diff)
 5. Open qterminal
 6. Enter `cd /etc/calamares`
 7. Enter `sudo patch --strip 2 < ~/Downloads/D15.diff`
 8. Run the installer like normal

I encourage you to report your results on the bug report and/or the
differential revision (aka "the fix").

Thanks for your patience.

[1]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1829805
[2]: https://phab.lubuntu.me/w/bugs/