It seems that for a huge index, it might be a good idea to use a different
implementation of the BitSet when doing filtering (assuming the
non-filtered set is relatively small).  This would really help minimize
the memory required for each filter operation.

Since the default implementation of BitSet allocates enough memory for
each position in the set, it seems overkill for a set that has a small
number of "on" values.

Any thoughts?

Tony Schwartz

by the way, I just started using Lucene about 2 weeks ago, and I am really
loving it.  The sky's the limit for this framework.  Thanks very much to
those of you involved in it's development.  Extremely powerful!