Hey guys its been a while since I was active on the project but it seems
we're still in the same old debate so I'll throw my two cents in.

I'm for a line by line port for the reasons already mentioned by others. I
won't reiterate them.

I was working with Sharpen a while back and I have a few thoughts about
automated porting. It's clear the problem with automated porting is some
things just don't have a one to one mapping from java to .net so the manual
cleanup or post processing scripts that would be required seem daunting. I
think there's a more structured way to attack the problem that could keep
the process more streamlined and viable. The idea would be to specify a
porting strategy for a given piece of ambiguous code. For example:
Namespace1.Class2 uses StrategyA or Namespace1.Class3.Method2 uses
StrategyB. The same porting problems would likely be encountered over and
over so the number of porting strategy overrides to create should be limited
and reusable. Once you have that the only thing to maintain is a config file
that tells Sharpen how to handle the tricky parts.

One other thought, if you had a fully automated line by line port in this
way it opens the door to also creating a second pass of processing that
.netifies the code while still in AST form to achieve, as Andy put it, an
automated "line by line with formally defined mutations".

Alex