What Michael said.

I would say one thing you may want to do to do, in order to get
familiar with the project, is look over the upcoming 2.9.4g release
and try to evaluate it for correctness. This will expose you to a lot
of the important bits from the committer's perspective.
Building/testing/packaging/documentation/licenses/ASF process/etc. It
will also expose you to what the current state of the project is.
Perhaps you could assemble release notes, have a look at our online
documentation and see what can be improved, update the website/wiki,
etc..

IIRC, there's a lot of work to do in the Contrib libraries for 3.0.3 release.

And if you didn't get the gist from Michael's tone of voice.. while we
care a lot about getting code done (and done right), and keeping the
project moving along, we're pretty informal around here. So, jump in
where ever you feel comfortable and don't be shy.

Thanks,
Troy