On Sat, 1 Feb 2003, Rishabh Bajpai wrote:

> also, i rememebr readin somewhere that one had to build the index in
> some special way, but since you say no; i will take that. i anyways dont
> rememebr where I read it, so no point asking about something if I am
> myself not sure....

I remember only one problem that is related to indexing phase - it is
``optimize'' function. If you update your index, one cannot tell you if
you must also call optimize() or not.

If you do not call it, it may slow down queries (I do not know how much,
but Otis told it). If you call it, it slows down the indexing phase (I
have tested it and it is significant).

AFAIK Lucene cannot tell you when the index becomes dirty so that you must
call optimize. On the other hand it does not affect small indexes, where
optimize() costs nothing.

Otis, I think that this still holds. Right?

-g-