Okay, I found the problem: it was a stupid coder. To wit, here's the
salient code:
Document d=indexReader.document(i);
if(d.getField("key").equals(node.getKey()) {
}

The error, of course, is that getField.equals() is comparing FIELDS and
not string values. When I changed this to pull the stringValue() out of
getField(), everything worked as expected. Turns out my logging actually
was spitting out the *wrong* message somewhere else, which deceived
me^Wthe stupid coder into thinking the removal was occurring when it was
not.

Now everything's working fine. Thank you for your time.