Hi Scott/Eugene,

I don't think that the limitation of 32 required/prohibited clauses is
related to the BooleanQuery maxClauseCount.

The default maxClauseCount of Boolean query is set to 1024.  This
restriction is to prevent a wildcard term expansion from creating a query
with thousands of clauses.  The limitation of 32 required/prohibited
clauses is a different limitation and I believe has more to do with the way
queries are processed at a low level.

Eugene, can you group your terms so that you have less than 32
required/prohibited clauses?  For example, instead of a query that is "-red
-blue -yellow -green", you could do "-(red blue yellow green)" and reduce
your required/prohibited clause count from 4 to 1.

DaveB

                      Scott Ganyo

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       Lucene Users List <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]>
                      estry.com>               cc:

                                               Subject:  Re: Limit on number of
required/prohibited clauses
                      09/05/2003 01:55

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      "Lucene Users

                      List"

Hi Eugene,

Yes.  Doug (Cutting) added this to eliminate OutOfMemory errors that
apparently some people were having.  Unfortunately, it causes
backward-compatibility issues if you were used to using version 1.2.
So, you'll need to add a call like this:

BooleanQuery.setMaxClauseCount(Integer.MAX_VALUE);

(Of course, you can set the parameter to whatever you want, but
unrestricted works best for me.)

Scott

Eugene S. wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've come across the limit on the number of
>required/prohibited clauses in a boolean query (the
>limit  is 32). What is the reasoning for having such
>limit? Can it be circumvented?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Eugene.

All progress is initiated by challenging current conceptions, and executed
by supplanting existing institutions. - George Bernard Shaw