Tate Avery wrote:
You might have trouble with "too many open files" if you set your mergeFactor too high. For example, on my Win2k, I can go up to mergeFactor=300 (or so). At 400 I get a too many open files error. Note: the default mergeFactor of 10 should give no trouble.

Please note that it is never recommended that you set mergeFactor anywhere near this high. I don't know why folks do this. It really doesn't make indexing much faster, and it makes searching slower if you don't optimize. It's a bad idea. The default setting of 10 works pretty well. I've also had good experience setting it as high as 50 on big batch indexing runs, but do not recommend setting it much higher than that. Even then, this can cause problems if you need to use several indexes at once, or you have lots of fields.

Doug