I am against making the suggested Lucene modification.
Lucene index structure may change in the future.  It is possible that
one day Lucene developers will need to use a hierarchy of directories
to implement some feature.

Therefore, Lucene users should be discouraged from creating
sub-directories under the Lucene index directory, and Lucene should
'reserve the right' to change the index structure in the future.

Otis