Hi,

expanding a query is basically done by generating a new one an reusing the
existing terms plus the selected one from your ontology/taxonomy. There has
been discussion here before and you should search the archive for that.
Extracting and using the right bit from your ontology is basically a task for your
programm logic and highly depends on your reasoning and choice.

Cheers,
Ralf