Another quite cool option is to subclass QueryParser, and override getRangeQuery. Do the padding there. This will allow users to type in normal looking numbers, and the padding happens automatically. You'll need to be sure that numbers padded during indexing matches what getRangeQuery does (oh, say through a common function :).

In fact, this is a great example for LIA. I'll add it! And I'll post the code back here in a day or so after I write it.

Erik